When I first shared the rumor with the date of the Firmware 4.0 release, I knew that it was a risk, since Fuji will probably change it once they get their feedback about bugs and potential improvements.
So here we are again, with another delay… In fact, a trusted source told me that the (amazing) X-T1 Firmware 4.0 has been pushed back for a few more days to June 29! As usual, I expect it to come at about 6:00 AM London Time (midnight in New York).
To see what it is capable of, just check out this thread (including my own tracking tests).
Those who already installed the BETA, remind the following tips when you use the new AF-system for tracking:
1) For AF-tracking with CL or CH (focus between each shot), you have to use Mechanical Shutter (MS) only. It doesn’t work with MS+ES (electronic shutter) enabled
2) Turn Off face detection to enable PDAF
3) High Performance Mode ON
UDPATE: by FR-reader Tomáš Tuček: “An editor of the Czech website Digiarena.cz announced the firmware in an article today in the morning, with a link to the official firmware site of Fujifilm. As we wondered where the new firmware is, he wrote in the evening that Fujifilm CZ sent a corrected info with the date of 29th (someone mistook the Mondays). The conversation, in Czech (google translated)”
stay tuned,
Fuji X Forum, Facebook, Google+, RSS-feed and Twitter

54 Responses
Gee I wonder if they are delaying it so that every idiot that installed the beta will be able to update to the final release? I have a feeling there is some coding going on to make that happen (just a guess). Nobody could wait a damn week so now we all have to wait 2. Thanks guys, way to screw it up for everyone else. I would like to thank the one moron that leaked the file originally… not only was that a dangerous thing to do, but now why would Fuji let firmware get out of their site for testing in the future? People are idiots.
I could not agree more. If Fuji had any sense of humor, the firmware would have a timeout built in and brick the X-T1. This is what Beta software used to do, not so long ago. On top of that a leaked (ie origin unverified) beta sotfware could well have a big fat virus added, that happens all the time with Beta for Windows distributed by people with bad intentions
Virus, eh? Imagine a botnet of the WiFi enabled X-T1’s infected with a sinister trojan firmware…
The virus-riddled beta version includes autonomous NUDITY DETECT, and it secretly photographs you naked and uploads the pics to NaughtyFujiBetaLoaders.com
Wait a minute. That’s a thing?
If your X-T1 all of a sudden is part of Skynet and start calling itself a Terminator T800, you won’t come back and complain, you’ve been warned
or maybe they are improving it based on all the feedback that they got over the last week
I have to disagree with you on this one Patrick… you don’t know which beta you got, it could have been an early to mid beta and not the release candidate. Fact is we won’t know unless Fuji tells us. It’s quite possible that they already fixed the bugs you discovered. I like the idea of crowdsourcing the beta testing, but as Fuji knows, it has to be done in a controlled fashion. Having it get released into the wild was not their intention. I love this site, and the work you do, and I am as excited as you for the new FW. I applaud the fact you took down links after posting them, that was wise. I just don’t think you should break your arm patting yourself on the back for this episode, all in all this was a disaster from Fuji’s perspective.
How is it a disaster from Fuji’s perspective? What have I missed?
You missed the fact that a lot of people installed beta software that may not be able to be upgraded to the final release version. I’m not saying it is a permanent problem, it can most likely be fixed with a tweak to the final release version to make sure it does work, but that can (and may have) caused another delay. As far as why it is a major problem for Fuji, they now have to spend time and energy making sure people get to a stable version of their software. Do you think they are jumping for joy that their software leaked without their consent?
OK, thanks. I wasn’t sure if a problem had surfaced beyond the speculation you mention about upgrading from beta. If it is true that this has caused a delay from a Thursday release to a Monday release I would tend to think of this as more of an inconvenience than a disaster—though I don’t deny that a delay to address a problem arising from the unauthorized installation of beta software is a definite waste of resources. Again, IF that is what’s going on here.
Ironically, this delay may cause me to install the beta software since I leave town on 6/26.
There might be other scenarios, like the debug build turning on some setting to generate log files and if you upgrade to the final version without using some intended procedure, that setting stays on and over time a huge log file accumulates and clogs the memory, or something similar that is hard to anticipate. Or the beta might include an update to the firmware of some component of the camera, but for the final release they decide to disable the feature since it can cause overheating. Official beta users will then get a special app that downgrades that component’s firmware manually via USB, but for folks with the illegal firmware, that component may be left with the problematic upgraded software, which will then not only cause issues in itself, but may also be incompatible with the final main firmware and so on.
It’s just things like that that could theoretically be the case. You just don’t know what hacks, temporary solutions, inspection devices and operating tools the surgeon may have left in your belly if you rise from the operation table prematurely.
You have no idea what you’re talking about.
You’re making dramatic claims and calling people idiots without any objective confirmation that:
1. This is a beta.
2. There will be any issue overwriting it.
3. The delay has anything to do with the ‘leak,’ if you want to call it that.
You’re right… people that put unknown software from random leaked sources onto their cameras that they invested thousands of dollars into are brilliant, my mistake.
1. You’re right, we don’t know what exact release it is for sure… all the more reason to install it! Brilliant!
2. We have heard from people saying that trying to reinstall the beta fails, and they are unable to downgrade to the previous version… It’s possible there won’t be a problem upgrading, but I don’t know about you, I don’t like to risk my camera to get a 1 week jump on everyone.
3. You’re right, which is why I said that in my post.
I’m not patting myself at all. I just do what I always do, I leak.
And in this case it’s not even a FR leak, since it has been leaked elsewhere on facebook, Spanish Forums and more.
Sure, this was not in Fujifilm’s intention, as it was not in their intention that, when Fujifilm launched the X-E2 in October, I said in those days (by trusted source) that the X-T1 will come. Fuji probably didn’t like it at all. Many people might not have bought the X-E2 because of that rumor.
But, well, I’m FujiRumors…
I get the feeling that there’s only one copy floating around that propagated to various sites. I’ve done an MD5 check sum on two copies from two different sites and they’re identical.
yes. A guy from Fujifilm shared it. As to expect, X-shooters downloaded and shared on the web. We are all using one and the same copy
Indeed!
Err, you have no idea if that’s the case, not even a tiny shred of evidence.
As I stated… it was simply my guess. But as someone that has worked for a software company… if one of our beta’s got into the wild and started being widely installed before we intended it to, it would have been a support disaster for us. I can’t imagine the folks at Fuji are thrilled with this leak.
I’m thrilled that I got to use it on my vacation last week and it worked great.
For the record, name calling is extremely immature. I have beta tested numerous firmware for various companies as well as software. Calling people idiots because they wanted to try it is pretty much uncalled for. You may not agree with it, but resorting to name calling doesn’t help your position on the subject.
http://www.fujirumors.com/video-fuji-guys-demonstrate-new-features-of-the-fujifilm-x-t1-firmware-4-0/
It will be worth the wait. Maybe they are working on improving and refining the software, based your feedback, too.
Hi Patrick. Any news on Europe release of X-t10? Same date as firmware?
for now I see the X-T10 available in Europe just combined with the 16-50.
I got one with a 18-55 kit (for my dad).
you’re right… it’s here 🙂
What a great gift with the latest software version already built-in the camera. I hope your father is a happy photographer!
Bummer.
just hope it’s out before I leave for vacation.
I would like a release before July 3rd, so I’m good for the holiday.
I leave on the 25 for a week of holiday… so I was forced to put the BETA on my X-T1
It means, I’ll post a AF-tracking series from the beach 😉
Sweet, I’m too chicken for beta:)
Beta works great. Used it on vacation over the past week and the pdaf Follow focusing in zone worked even better than I expected.
Amen, hope Fuji remembers that it’s a big U.S. Holiday and vacation time.
What is PDAF?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autofocus#Phase_detection
phase detection auto focus
Phase detection pixels placed in the center of the sensor for faster AF
Thanks Patric, missed that acronym 🙂
Have a wedding shoot on the 4th July. Please Fujifilm, release it before then!
They will release 4.1..
As long I get it before 4th July, to test at a hot rod racing event…..
u guys just beta tested for Fuji. well done!!
Fujifilm Czech Republic says oficially 29th.
cool… any link to it?
An editor of the Czech website Digiarena.cz announced the firmware in a article today in the morning, with a link to the official firmware site of Fujifilm. As we wondered where the new firmware is, he wrote in the evening that Fujifilm CZ sent a corrected info with the date of 29th (someone mistook the Mondays). Digiarena is the website that first mentioned the later announced Sigma 18-35/1.8 with exact details, so they surely have some real information channels.
The conversation, only in Czech:
http://digiarena.e15.cz/novy-firmware-pro-fujifilm-x-t1/?showforum=1
thanks a lot… I’ve updated the post
Oh, no. Four more days to wait. That’s It. I’m done. I’m switching to any other manufacturer so I would not need to wait for firmware updates.
Aw crap. That’s when I’m sitting in the airplane. Too bad. 🙁
Would be awesome if it’s delayed so they can add better AE bracketing control! +-3 please!
I second this comment about bracketing, I would love it!
I also surmise that the leak was controlled to get feedback and release a solid firmware. Whatever Fuji does with their updates, there is always grumbling after. They are doing a great job. I had a Sony once upon a time and to get an update in firmware, it means getting a new camera. Go fuji!
Oh man. Never being happier shooting my X-pro1 these days. No leaks. No freakware. No beta. No delay. Feels like I’m in control of everything I do.
Indeed, it has its benefits 🙂
Later or not – we always appreciate the rumors – Keeps us hungry 😉